Wednesday, October 30, 2019

The Overdue Letter by Matewe Dumisani Albert




I don’t eat chicken, may you please give me a job
Electricity, water and proper health care system
Oh! and papa this poem is too small for everything I need
But we can start with the ones that I mentioned

I do work and go to school simultaneously
Who said only women are good at multitasking?
As old as I am, which other future for me is in preparation?
Or you just want to boost up my tension?

Ngazviende!!! Hatizvide!!! Zvii zvacho?
Will this war cry make everyone else feel macho?
How do I succeed with?
Nothing else is selfish than a croc

If you can hear us, we are down here
The people you stepped on climbing up there
Do you know what happens when your time is up to be again down here?
You need the same people to step on from up there

I am claustrophobic, from this shell how do I penetrate?
I mean like at one point I thought Zimbabwe was lit
Before we faced this bottomless pit

No comments:

ShareThis