Tuesday, January 29, 2013

In The Event Of My Demise by Adjei Agyei-Baah



When my I heart throbs to a stop
I hope I would have shouldered a cross worth a cause
Lived and left an imprint undimmed by another man’s course

When I am gone
Like Buddha will find peace in my grave
To have put myself at the tutelage of the words
Learned to string them at dawn
When the lazy bone basks in his wet dreams

When I am gone
Wish some things never remain the same:
The learned heads who should have known better
But fiddle the strings of tribalism and
Put on a spectacle of myopia in the name of partisanship
And tighten the nation’s purse-strings to build lasting hegemonies

When I expire
Let them know
I was also vexed with the doyens
Who had ‘their heads abroad and anus at home’
Leaving no gardens for the budding bards to grow

Upon my exit
I will be glad to have left no dreams deferred
Saw the world as a page where every man must drop an ink
And gallantly defended Poetry as a cult
Even if it never paid me much

No comments:

ShareThis